Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Today

Yet another day passes. So what did I do today? It suddenly struck me that this tag line across the top of my blog sort of says it's supposed to about this person, me, and my ordinary life - and when do I ever talk about my ordinary life?

Ok, so today was a work day, and more than that, a day shift. So that means the alarm goes off at six, which is like hell on earth. Acclimatisation shock to being awake. Then I drag myself out of bed - maybe 15 minutes after the things gone off, into the shower, make the coffee, my stomach's upset because I wasn't too well yesterday and I've still got gassy remnant of food poisoning. (oh it was totallly my fault!) So then having checked my bag - essentials like mobile, purse, bus fare etc, and having checked my bank balance - I go to catch the bus. I have this thing of trying not to miss it, so I have to leave the flat like ten minutes before it could possibly be due - which could be anything between on the hour or ten minutes after it depending on the traffic - and the bus stops deserted which means the bus before more or less just went. All these fine judgements going on you know? So the bus comes along - together with a lot more people - and we thread our way on to it, through the people getting off - and chug along into town. Journey of about fifteen minutes. Traffic went quite well this morning. I keep, and have all day, been thinking it's Friday, which is unsettling in a Tuesday!
Anyhow we arrive in town and I head on down to Tesco. I needed some fags, and juice and stuff - and it opens at about 7, so by the time I get to town - about quarter past, it's been open a while.
Clearly today was a very very bad day to choose to go to Tesco. I got my stuff, in the basket, and I go to the fag counter, and I'm getting my stuff out, and this woman behind the counter is pointing at a new sign saying they don't take groceries anymore. And I said, and I swear this was conversationally, that's a pain, it's going to slow up getting through here, and she's going I know but there's nothing I can do - and this other woman, who was way away stacking fag packets onto the shelves, butts in, incredibly angrily, saying "It's nothing to do with us, we're not responsible" as if I had accused her or something. And it doesn't matter what I say or do, she is absolutely not going to be appeased, and by this point I'm getting actively angry. I don't go to Tesco to be insulted by the woman who works on the fag counter, who wasn't serving me, who wasn't involved at all until she decided to butt in. Frankly anyone else would have described her as fag ending on someone else's conversation, but I couldn't bring myself to reach for that bad a pun.
So I give the other woman my bank card (bear in mind I've checked the balance) and she puts it into her machine, and blow me down, the wretched thing goes blank and she's standing there helplessly and the other woman, the rude one, gets herself involved. And she's like, 'that card is blank' as if there's a) something wrong with it, b) it's my fault. I persuade them to put it in the other machine - jaw drop here - blank screen.
So at this point I loose it. Not, like loose it, shout my head off, or anything like that, just like loose my patience with this wretched woman. I put my basket of shopping down on the side and walk out of the store. I go to the nearby bank machine and lo and behold there is nothing wrong with my card at all. I get cash out of the machine. I go back to the store where there is now a short queue of people complaining bitterly to wreched woman that there's nothing wrong with their cards. And of course she then presses the right button, or puts in the right code and everything starts working again. Did I get an apology out of her? Did I hell. I think she was trying to be masterful or something, or 'above' the vagaries of her customers, or some damn such thing, I wouldn't mind but this is a shop I go to regularly, and this wretched woman was so, so RUDE. All I can say is she was so lucky it wasn't later in the day when I was more awake, because dear God, she wouldn't have known what had hit her. I am reasonably confident that there are few people in this world who could actually out-rude me in a fair fight, and my God she would have known she'd been in a dispute.
Having read through all of this, it occurs to me that I should state that a) the original woman who was serving me was great. I thought we were getting along fine until bossy boots butts in. b) I would never 'fight' fight with anyone. c) I reserve my right to uphold my end of the story in a fair argument! d) what is it about supermarket staff that they can be so bad tempered at the very start of the day? God knows it's an awful job, but if you hate it That Much, time to look for a new one!
So then I went to work. And I came home, and I ate dinner and I watched the box. This blog is getting way way too long to go into the details!!!