Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday 28th Feb

Well it's not been a wildly wonderful day, in that a) Villa lost the FA cup final, b) I've been a touch hung over. Last night I went to a friend's party, and I had what I think is the first drink of alcohol since not last Christmas, but I think the Christmas before. I can't really remember. I'm not fond of alcohol, for a number of reasons, chiefly because I think it's sneaks under my guard and before I know where I am, I'm wildly drunk and doing things that make me cringe the next day. All that on perhaps a glass and a half of red wine. No tolerance you see, I know if I stuck at it, I'd build a tolerance and could drink a glass a day with relatively no ill effects, but I'm always a bit worried that a glass would become a bottle without my noticing. Then there's the cost. I don't enjoy it, I don't see any benefit to it, why should I waste what's basically a vast amount of money to do it? I already have my vice, I smoke and I enjoy that, so I'll stick to it I think. Mind you I'm even thinking twice about that these days.
On top of all this, it's been a difficult week. I did finish my gender presentation, but I can't say that I was happy with it. I finished it at 2 in the morning, which is never a good thing, and I've no idea what the end result of it will be, people seemed to think it was ok. I even had one of my compatriots come up to me in M&S to say he thought it was good. But you know that irritating feeling at the back of your mind that you could have done it so much better? Ok, I will admit that I have this feeling for virtually everything that I do, every piece of university work, but on this occasion I have to say that I think the feeling is fully justified. It was not up to my normal standard and I ran out of time and patience with it, and went off on a wild tangent about this wretched pendant. I won't bore you with the details, but it was a pretty stunning pendant. Just not exactly greatly relevant to the piece I was supposed to be writing.
Anyhow today I've been going through Foxe's Book of Martyrs, for Constructing Faith. Fascinating piece. Google it, and it will reward a brief look at pretty well any part of it. It's all about the Reformation in England and the building of the Church of England. Tonight I'm going to be cracking on with, let's see.. a chunk more of Stripping the Altars? Perhaps. First though, I'm going to reward myself with a morsel of Lark Rise to Candleford - trash, but moderately amusing trash.