Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Another strange experience...!

I'm not at all sure what or how to describe my day! I found a job that I thought I could apply for, by email, on one of the university's job sites and sent off an application - back came an email inviting me to an interview, so along I went today. I knew from the description it was some sort of interviewing, which it is, for a study being conduction by a professor from the University of Sheffield. I'm not sure exactly how much I can tell you about it really, because I have no idea how confidential it is, so I think for the sake of safety we'll just say it's interviewing people about their financial situations. The prof was extremely nice, and certainly the work would be interesting. But the downside of this is that yep, it's paid - but at present you couldn't say exactly how many hour it would take to do. I have a list of people I have to contact, and the questionnaire, but I have to shell out my own money to call these people, initially by letter is best we think, then by phone. The interview is conducted over the phone if possible, but there's a possibility for those we can't contact by phone that we may have to go visit some - in pairs I hasten to add. We keep a list of everything that we do, and how much time we spend on this, and then at the end of August, hand all of this to the professor, and we get paid at the end of September. And there lies the rub - I'm going to have phone bills come in between then and now. Still I'm going to give it a go - it is interesting, and we'll see what happens.