Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wednesday 19th March 2008

Oh Woe is me.... I feel like a little old woman as I type this, I've just finished two night shifts, and for some reason - probably sitting more or less still for a night, my back feels like it's been put on a rack. I staggered off to the Post Office - thinking the exercise will soon get rid of this - and then round Sainsbury's, and I feel even worse. Struggling home with two bags worth of Easter Eggs (and I'll get round to the price of those in a minute!) I felt like I was 90. I think I'm going to have to have a good twenty to thirty minute hot shower before bed tonight, and see how it goes. I'm hoping to go to stay over in Winsley for the weekend - fingers crossed. But if this keeps up this way, I'm going to be stuck at home, exercising. I have a whole range of physio exercises which are supposed to prevent this sort of thing from happening, but I must have got stuck in an unfortunate position or something.
Anyhow, the eggs. I quite fancied something fancier than your average Cadbury whatever style egg, but when I got to the shop and saw the prices - forget it. For basically a very small amount of chocolate, and an overly inflated idea of what constitutes decoration, I'll stick with the bog standard. I bought my friends' little girl two lovely little squishy toys - I tend not to buy her chocolate, because once you've got that sweet tooth - well it's like the old saw at Xmas and dogs isn't it? A sweet tooth isn't just for Easter, it's for life. Having one myself I can well testify to this! Anyhow, I got her just the cutest little chicken in an egg - velour of course, with a zip you open and out comes the cutest little chick. And all little girls love soft fluffy toys, I think, for a good wee while!

I don't know about you, but I've been watching the tv reports of what's been going on over in Tibet. Emotionally, one hopes that the Tibetans will be able to free themselves of Chinese rule, but at the same time, one fears the Chinese reactions. And above all, I don't want to see the Dalai Lama resign - although I admit, I wouldn't have thought that he could. I suppose he can resign his political role - it seems so unfair that this good man is so constantly blamed by the Chinese for any and all problems with Tibet. He's always struck me as one of the few world leaders that you look at, and instinctively know, is a good man. But the Chinese don't seem to be given to negotiation - historically, they don't seem to have had much experience of it. God knows, as a Brit, we've got enough history with the Chinese to feel thoroughly ashamed of ourselves - but one can only hope for a peaceful settlement in this situation. I've always found the Chinese to be a fascinating and interesting people, in whatever phase of their history they're in, and I'd like to see them take more part in the world after such an incredible period of isolationism. But I think their government really has to accept that indigenous peoples deserve autonomy. Oh well, enough pontificating from me, God knows what right I've got to go sounding off about it!