Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tuesday 29th May 2007, at 23.23 exactly!!!!

No, I didn't plan that. It's just an accident! But the real wierdo thing is in the background as I type this, is a tv programme on surrealism.

So - surrealism. This sends me sort of thinking about St Mungo's Museum in Glasgow, a museum of religious beliefs. They have a painting there by Salvador Dali, one of the magnificent crucifix paintings, Christ hanging on his cross above the world which hangs in a black space. I can remember sitting there and just gazing at this thing. But oddly enough, the thing that I remember most clearly from visiting the museum was a piece of Indian art. It had been made more or less in what we think of as the medieval period, perhaps as far ago as the 1100's. The makers had used the lost wax method - they had made the pattern in sand, I think, poured in wax and made a mould over that, and then used it to cast the piece. Now the truly awful thing is I can't remember the name of it - well It's rather late at night, and I truly hadn't intended to start rambling on about this when I was browsing Flickr, which is where I was before I started blogging - but it was one of those huge round pieces that the Indians make, and it was a Kali, and I'm fairly sure it had been associated with a Thuggee cult. If not Thuggee's, (which I hearby admit I'm not entirely sure actually existed, and may have been an invention of Conan Doyle's) a murderous cult at any rate. Regardless of it's origins, it was a very dramatic and beautiful piece of art. Funny how things just pop into your mind isn't it?

It's been a funny old day. I had to go to the Occupational Health for my 'back to work' check up - ha, I've been back at work a month or so now, but you know how bureacracy is. A very charming doctor of the old school saw me, he seemed to be very thorough in his check up - all the responses, checked the sciatic nerve for damage - to be honest, I've had sciatic damage for years now, and it's been pretty quiet on this current injury so that's a relief. He seemed to be very happy about how fit I am at present, and I promised to try and loose some weight. Well to be really honest I've been trying to loose some weight for a little while now. You know how it is, you have this nagging thought at the back of your mind. I'm not a great dieter. But I've done the things that I know one should, without being stupid. Upped the fibre intake, cut out the chocolate - ha, that went bust over the weekend, but I've been eating a lot more fruit. I even had a nectarine for breakfast this morning, with a couple of pancakes without any butter on them. Hardly pat on the back stuff, but it's better than a fat free taste free ghastly bar of manufactured crap that they try to sell you as 'food' for dieters. I abominate that stuff. If you're going to diet, you should eat real food, that's my feeling. Just less fat and sugar.
Actually the real problem I have with dieting is trying to force myself to eat more. You know, the sudden large quantities of vegetables that go with all this. I find that extremely difficult, along with breakfast. I am not a big breakfaster, it has to be said.

Anyhow, after the doctors, it was off to the Post Office - man, there was a queue and a half. I was stuck there for at least half an hour. And by the time I left, the queue was worse than when I came in. Then I rushed off to the bus, and had one of those perfectly awful bus journeys - the first seat I sat on was wet!!!! I mean god only knows what with, one can only hope it's water...!!!! Anyway after I moved, there were two or three small children in the back who decided to have one of those who can shout louder contests - the mother's were trying to do their best to quieten them down, but needless to say did not succeed until after I'd finished speaking to my brother on the mobile.

So come the time to make dinner, I left the spinach in the pot on the stove for too long - long enough to be inedible, not quite long enough to burn the place to the ground, thank heavens. Still I like spinach, so it's off to the shop for more tomorrow, since that was the last of the pack. There's been nothing to watch on tv, but I've got about three pairs of earrings, a necklace and two bookmarks made - all for my Xmas stock box. Got to build up that xmas stock! I had a couple of fat envelopes of findings arrive today after the bank holiday, which is always nice - chain, a mass of jump rings, some triangle bails - nothing drop dead exciting, simply the things you cannot make jewellery without. So as you can see it's been a funny old day - neither one thing nor the other, not way exciting, not way dull.