Thursday, May 03, 2007

thursday 2nd May

Gosh May already... isn't that mind boggling? I was talking about it with Lisa at work today (Yippee I'm back at work!) and we agreed that it feels funny because of the seasons being so out of joint.
No proper winter - not even a long period of dreary rain filled days, and if we had a spring, I feel that I missed it. Perhaps because I was trapped in the flat for so long with the back problems. It felt very much as if I emerged from it to find that summer had arrived, out of nowhere. It was very much, bang, here's summer, get the fan on, get a sunhat, buy new tee shirts because nothing you wore last year is fit to wear this, and get ready to suffer in the heat for the next 8 months until the temperature sinks to bearable again.
I mention temperature because where I live is a well-known local hotspot. Just how I, of all people, ended up here is a mystery to me, because I hate heat! Hate sunshine, hate heat, love autumn - I get prickly heat, I get a mystery skin disease if I go out in for longer than what, fifteen minutes, I get sunstroke... and yep, folks, I'm a Leo. I'm supposed to love sunshine and heat. Atypical is what I think you call this..!

But yes, back to work. Boy was I shattered by the end of the first day. Still, every one's been terribly nice, I have space to go do my exercises which is cool.. (who wants to do their physio exercises to the collective amusement of their colleagues?!) But of course, what should happen on what, my first day back? Yes, I get a water leak in the bathroom, and have to send for the plumbers! Of all the times when the plumber could have come at whatever time suited him, and I wouldn't have had to make any kind of special arrangement, any day over the past 3 months would have been fine - but no, the leak chooses to turn up on my first day back to work! I really, really think there is some kind of malevolent force controlling such things.
As for the physical side, it's been three days now, and I must admit I do feel rather sore and slightly as if I've overdone it slightly. Nothings pulled, or worse than it was before I went to work, but I am experiencing a good bit of pain, and the thought of tomorrows physio appointment is not one that I'm chuffed to death about. I'm kind of hoping that she'll have good suggestions to make about how I control this degree of pain - yes I'm taking the pills, but I can't medicate myself out of being able to work, that defeats the object. My tens machine doesn't have enough leads or pads to be able to use it effectively. It's really quite funny. Do you remember that dreadful old film with Kenneth Moore as Douglas Bader, Reach for the sky, I think it was called? When he's teaching himself to walk on his new tin legs, and stomps around all over the place? That's me getting on and off the bus every morning right now! You'd swear I was wearing those old style calipers. Frankly, it's awful.

On another topic entirely, I must just say that I've received some beads from America recently that are just gorgeous. Really, really gorgeous. I'm so happy with my American beads! I'm taking a slow month this May to get a bit more stock up and together. So these wonderful beads are really thrilling, because whatever I make with them is going to be gorgeous. Anyhow it's late, and I'm very tired... so I'm off to bed.