Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday 27th May

Well folks, I reckon that was summer! I don't know how it is with you, but right now we're back to cold, well chilly at least in comparison, and this afternoon we had a hail storm. Only lasted what, 5 minutes, but it was bouncing off every surface it could possibly hit. Unbelievable.
Still, I'm more and more convinced that this is all down to that damn volcano - I know it's died down, but we've been having some really very attractive sunsets (I'm not around to see the sunrise!) very pink and streaky, which has inspired me to start up a little project. Life can't be all Latin and miracles, trust me. Anyhow, I'm making a mixed media picture, I've been wanting to do something truly mixed media for a while, and this seems an ideal opportunity. When I've finished it, and if I think it's actually worth putting on general view, I'll put a picture up, and maybe even a whole how I did this blog, since its been a while since I did this. I've bought a little fabric, renewed some of my paint tubes - it's been so long since I painted anything that many of them have dried up, yikes! I need to do things like this, I'm one of those people who needs to express the creative urge regardless of whether that urge produces anything wholly decent as such. I suppose I should be busy turning out bookmarks, but frankly the shops' been shut since my last huge essay deadline date, and over the past few months I'd say that it's not exactly been selling stuff like hot cakes. Since it's expensive to run - the Ebay fees are just horrendous, I thought I'll leave it until later in the year, when sales usually pick up.
What else have I been up to? Suffering in the knees is what. I'm grasping this bull by the horns by trying to loose a bit of weight, exercising, and no it's not going wonderfully well. I've been doing the exercises that the physio gave me for about two and a half weeks, and not one jot of benefit have I yet to see, which is a touch worrying. Normally these work like hotcakes, with things picking up within a matter of days, but not this time. We must just keep our fingers crossed that a) it doesn't get worse and b) it's not something other than muscular or ligament damage. I have a nasty sneeking suspicion that it's going to prove that way, and technically yes, I should go to the doctor, but I don't like doctors, never will, and I'd rather suffer for a while longer until I really can't put it off anymore. At least until I can prove by some weight loss that I am trying to do something about it myself.

As for the weight, well, as I said I've commenced dieting. I don't know what it is about diets, but the moment you start one, you get instant wild hunger pangs. I had a fabulous lunch, measured out on the scales, two ounces of red lentils, 1 oz of walnuts, handful of rocket, tomato, all done according to the recipe, and it was delicious. I can't tell you often enough that it really was tasty, and will be a pleasure to eat again, even if I wasn't dieting. It was filling. I mean, lentils for the lords sake, take a wee bit of eating. Walnuts need to be masticated. I thought well this will keep me going until supper. But come tea time, what did I want?? Food. I was hungry. I did stick to the diet, which provides snacks, I had plain wholewheat toast, with a teaspoon of peanut butter. As laid out in the plan. However, whilst they say one slice of toast with peanut butter, I had four. Yep. Disgraceful isn't it? I'm not too freaked by this, if I'd have raided the deep freeze for the icecream I know is there, then I would have been cross with myself, but no butter was consumed, and I did stick to the teaspoon full of peanut butter on each slice. Small falls like this are only to be expected, and you can but struggle on, safe in the knowledge that if you stick to whats on the diet sheet, the odds are you are still probably eating less than what you were eating prior to commencing.
The dinner was pasta with bacon and spinach, and I'm sorry to say whilst I like bacon, and I love spinach, I didn't take to this as well as I did the lentil recipe. Tomorrow is Spaghetti Primavera, that should be good. Lunch is a baked potato with beans. Got the beans, not sure I've got any baking potato's - that's another diet based issue, the cost of the bloody thing. You are constantly food shopping too. You have to have so much food to produce meals that are high fibre, low fat types, because you have to have the variety so you don't get bored and devour whatever fatty food is to hand or run screaming to the shop for half a dozen packets of cheesy whatnots. Gross isn't it?