Monday, January 04, 2010

Monday 4th January 2010!

Lord look at this - October since I last blogged. And there was me promising Oh I'll blog regularly when I move to Glasgow, I'll keep everyone up to date - well, ok, that's assuming anyone wants to be kept up to date!! I hate this, but yep, my new years resolution is blog as regularly as I can.
I will admit part of the problem was being so snowed under with uni work that blogging fell very low down the list of priorities. When deadlines suddenly aren't looming anymore, but are like, next week, Oh God, 3 days, 2 days - you get the point. But I have a lot to be thankful for, as one of my friends from down South (down sarf Jane!) told me by text not so long ago that she's got an exam on her first session back. Now that's cruel. I know she'll do well, but my God that's cruel. Next time someone up here tells me our university organise things badly I'm going to tell them about that and see the look of 'gulp' cross their face.
So whilst I haven't been blogging what have I been doing? I put together a database on Early Christian Womens Vita's and Martyrologies - I can't say it's particularly brilliant, but 9 times out of 10 it does work. Ok, 7 out of 10 times. I wrote a report on how I did it. I did a number of translations of short Latin passages, and a short class exam. Enough to know I'm never going to be very good at Latin, but that I can make a general sort of sense of it.
My sister and her husband visited just before Christmas, and one of my brother's visited over Christmas. The snow made everything very chaotic - but everyone made it here and back in one piece, which was brilliant. I was amazed by how many Christmas cards I got. I still have them up, and the tree - although it's been denuded of about 97% of the decs because I got fed up with the bits falling off the tree. Yes, the tree is plastic, but balls kept falling off and then I'd tread on them as I opened and/or closed the curtains, so I've returned them to their box where they live. Toad is still up there, but he can sit still for a while and keep me on the good side of the old superstition about not taking down Xmas decs till 12th night.
The snow is still with us. I went to the shop this afternoon, and to my great irritation I found someone's been chucking around huge quantities of grit and presumably salt on Alexandra Parade, whereas we haven't seen a sniff of it down my end of the drive since what, Tuesday before Christmas? The little crossroad between ourselves and Armadale is like a skating rink, and I dread to think what it was like for those poor souls heading off to work this morning. The temperature has been apalling - we've had it go as low as -17, but tonight we've only being promised -9. It is extemely cold, too cold to sit up and read at night when the heatings off. At that point you need to do the old bug under the rug routine with a hot water bottle. I've never been so glad that I chose to go and buy a nice furry throw to supplement my bedding this year. It's wonderful. As I type this now, my fingers are going all cold! My computer's at the far end of the living room near the window without a radiator nearby, so it gets a bit chilly up this end at night.
What else did I do today apart from take my life in my hands getting to the shop? Not that much actually, although I do keep promising myself a trip into town. I have a stack of library books that I really ought to be reading, so that's really got to be top of the list for tomorrow. Hear that tone of steely resolution in my words as I type! I will tackle that reading!!!