Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday 19th February

Well, foodwise I haven't been doing too badly, but I can't say I've noticed weight just flying off. Nevertheless, I've been eating much better than normal, good meals with varied ingrediants, so perhaps I'll stick with it for a while, before despairing and going to seek out a weight loss club. I hate these places with a passion, so having to go to one feels like an admission of defeat. Last nights meal was pork chop with a rosemary and garlic paste rub - I crushed up dried rosemary, with a dash of rock salt and a clove of garlic, rubbed it all over about twenty minutes before I popped it into the oven. I cooked it dry, without any fat, and it had all the fat cut off it, and I admit I overcooked it a bit. I needed to set the timer for a good 10 minutes before I got it out of the oven - it was rather dry. I had it with baked pototo, which was very nice. I've got another chop in the fridge, so I've got to think of what I can do with this for tonight. I'm rather tempted to think of how to curry it, for some reason I've been feeling addicted to curry recently. Can't think why, beyond the fact it's been extremely cold out!
So how would one curry a chop? I think rather than going for some super acurate curry type recipe, it's perhaps best to go down the British adaptation route. Since last night's chop was so dry, why not do it in a curry sauce? I could start off with onions, add spices and perhaps a good squirt of tomato paste, and some natural yoghurt. Curry sauce is a distinctive British tradition, that for the most part ends up being slopped over chips. It's a big part of the day out to the seaside! A bit like if you're north of the border, there is what I assumed was a myth of a deep fried Mars Bar - some myth that. I was astonished to see, on my first visit to a Glasgow Chippy, not only deep fried Mars Bar, but deep fried pizza. They fold it in half, dip it in batter, and deep fry it. I've never eaten any of these things, I'm afraid that as food I find them rather unpleasant ideas, but as a sociological item, you can only say wow, people really eat that? One place I went to had more or less the entire contents of a sweet shop counter waiting ready to be deep fried. On the cooking level, they work very well I've been told. The chocolate melts and the batter is crisp - it's all supposed to be very yummy.
Oh dear, anyone reading this is going to know I'm trying to reduce. I haven't had chocolate now for about a week, and I'm begining to fantasise about it a bit. Time to indulge in a small bar I think before I go mad and end up buying a six pack of Creme Eggs or something equally horrifying. Happily lunch is in the fridge, a lovely half pot of olive homous, with some really nice wholemeal bread.

So away from the food motif.. I've not really been doing much. I've got an Amazon packet that's gone missing and have to (yet again) contact the local sorting office before they'll replace it - trying to speak to someone at that place is like attempting to contact persons from beyond the grave. It's like my challenge for the week. And since I don't have any sort of parcel details if I do get hold of anyone, they're basically just going to laugh about it. What a business eh? I wish the mail would just go ahead and modernise themselves properly, like every other industry in the country. It's infuriating to have to deal with them!