Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tuesday 14th October

Today's installment of the food blogs.. I arrived at Tesco's in town today, thinking I'll zip around here and grab enough to feed me for the next few days - like fast fast, so I can get to work - only to find Tesco's has rearranged all of it's shelving to make way for the Christmas products. Yep. Dundee cake where the pancakes were - I mention this, because frankly I got lost looking for the bread. Yep something as simple and straightforward as a wholemeal sliced loaf. Gone, gone and never called me mother.

Quick diversion here - I have no idea where that expression came from, but I've got a feeling it's one of those music hall soliloquies, the old among us will know what I'm talking about here - Arthur and the lion, that sort of thing. I'm fairly sure I heard one of these things on the radio as a relatively small child, and ever since then I've been wandering around saying 'gone and never called me mother' at things that disappear. No you don't need to tell me this is sad, I'm well aware of the fact, but I happen to like the expression, and have no intention of giving it up...!

Back to Tesco's. I tracked down the bread and purchased a large sliced multi grain loaf. I bought a box of eggs, and a lump of cheese - at least I think it's cheese, I'm never 100% sure of this substance that arrives in solid plastic packaging. Frankly when you get it open it resembles the packaging on the tongue, but they don't have a fresh cheese counter, so you either take the plastic substance or you do without. If it was real cheese, a bit of wax would do, and a wrapping of say brown paper. I remember again (oh dear this is turning into a trip down memory lane) going in to the new - yep, first supermarket in town as a kid, and it had this wonderful scent. Because things like cheese were sold in brown paper, and you could smell what was on sale. You knew it was fresh, because you could smell it. And I'm prepared to bet it was a damn site more ecologically friendly than the current offerings which you can't smell, nor pop the wrappings into the compost bin.
Anyhow I digress. I bought cheese, eggs, bread and a pasta salad for lunch. Now I was impressed with this. It was a chicken and red pepper pesto salad with rocket, and it came with a separate pot of balsamic vinegar dressing. There was plenty of chicken, with a lovely fresh taste - like cold chicken you'd roasted at home and sliced a few bits off to make dinner. The pasta was well cooked, not overcooked, and there was plenty of red pepper and rocket. All for £1.99! I reckon it was an economical healthy meal for about the price you'd pay for a sandwich, and there was plenty of it, it was perfect for tea at work - yep again I worked till 9 o'clock, so I needed a meal.

However, despite this it hasn't been a good day foodwise. I didn't have any of my fresh orange juice for brekkie, because as I mentioned yesterday I've run out of oranges, and don't really have enough money to go buying any more - one has to be practical on the week before payday. But there will be cheese sandwich for lunch tomorrow, which as I'm doing a 10 - 4, will be at an appropriate time of the day.
But, and this is where it all falls apart, everyone seemed to have decided to bring stuff to work for everyone to eat. Bought to work today has been a large bag full of crisps in the flavours no one in the family likes - really surprisingly including bags of mini chedders, which I'd have thought everyone liked! But we're talking a big carrier bagful of crisps and snacks here. And then someone else bought in a couple of packets of biscuits - chocolate chip and chocolate digestives, and around four in the afternoon, a box of croissants. I mean I ask you! I'd reached the stage where if it's waved in front of me, I'm going to eat it. But I do want to say that I did only eat a small packet of peanuts ( I cannot resist a nut) and a single chocolate digestive, and a croissant. I thought this was pretty good going! And I was past eating anything when I got home, so no real disasters.

Well I'd best be off to make the sandwiches for lunch. Maybe I wrote the last sentence above too soon... I'll let you know!