Monday, October 15, 2007

Monday October 15th.

First of my everyday this week food blogs, and boy I could have chosen a better week to do this! I'm working a whole weeks worth of 1 - 9 pm shifts, so my guess is I probably won't be blogging again until Weds morning - so excuse me for not doing this properly!

And on top of that, food wise, today has been a disaster!

I started well. Oh yes, freshly squeezed orange juice  - two of them. Very nice and tasty. Having done that, I'm now all out of oranges! In fact, I'm quite short of fresh food, I need to fit in a trip to the supermarket tomorrow, that's for sure.

I'd made lunch yesterday before I went to work. Yep that old standby, peanut butter sandwiches - but that was it, no chocolate, or crisps - just peanut butter and a couple of bits of bread. White bread though, but good white bread. None of the plastic loaf rubbish.

Dinner - well. With a diet like this for the rest of the day,  you can imagine what happened. By six o'clock I was starving, lunch having been pretty well consumed by three.  I was Hungry with the capital H. So of course, I ended up going to Burger King. Isn't that awful? Awful, but delicious. What I'd like to know - and yep it's that other favorite chestnut of the fast food industry - how come there's nothing on the menu there that's a bit healthier? Its not surprising that no one's going to buy salad - I mean, come on..! But why not go for a half-way house? Where's the lean chicken burgerette? Why enfold everything in crispy coating (which is where the fat is.)  I've got a pretty good idea it's because they couldn't make it look respectable.  But if I was in charge of the Burgerhouse menu, I'd be looking to produce a piece of lean chicken breast, one that had say been dipped in a spice mix, so that it had a nice coating. One that could be photographed attractively, and hold it's own among the (I kid you not here) Angry Burgers on display.  Yes, truly folks, burgers with steam coming out of them , so laden with jalapeno chillis that I'd need a cardiac resuss team on standby if I took a mouthful.  I'm just damn sure that they could produce a healthy attractive looking burger if they tried.

And they could put a baked potato on the menu.  And I'm absolutely sure if you tried hard enough, you could come up with a healthy version of an onion ring. The Burger palaces claim that they put healthy food on the menu, but no one chooses it, so none of it sells. I say they're just not trying hard enough.  If I can think of this in about five minutes flat, then they have the time, the effort and the energy to do it sensibly.

Anyhow that's it for today. I'll try to blog again tomorrow, but frankly it depends on how tired I am when I get home. But if not tomorrow, Wednesday for sure. And I'll be popping on a penitence about how I get on in the supermarket, looking for healthy food that I can make a quick dinner out of when I get home tomorrow night.