Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Tuesday 17th July 2007

Oh I've had a busy day today. I got up quite early, because I had to go into town - I had shopping to do, irritating shopping like a bottle of shower cleaner, which I had inexplicably forgotten to buy when I did my big once-a-month shop - very frustrating. But mostly I was going in to town to meet up with some work friends, in particular Nina, because she had agreed to 'model' some earrings for me.
I'd been having chats with some fellow jewellery makers, and we've been discussing which is better for the sale of jewellery - jewellery that's worn by a model, or jewellery that's photographed plain on a clear, or display background. I thought I would do a little market research, as one of my friend's calls it - I've made two identical pairs of earrings, and I've photographed one on a stand, and the other has very kindly been modelled by Nina from work. I have to say that she's a pretty girl, with that lovely golden skin tone, so she makes the earrings look very good! Anyhow, I'm going to put them both on Ebay, completely identical listings except for the fact that one has the pics with Nina wearing the earrings, and the other has the plain photo. We'll see then which attracts the most people to look at, and if it makes any difference to the price - I'm very sceptical of it making much of a difference to be honest. I started out thinking, no one wants to buy earrings that have been worn by someone, but then I thought, well it's not like I haven't given them a swab with alcohol rub, and then we got chatting about it briefly in the office. Opinion there was fairly firm that it wouldn't make any sort of a difference, and that they might be more attracted to the 'modelled' picture. If it does make a dramatic difference, my heart sinks at the idea of having to find people willing to model earring after earring! It might be fun as a one off, but I think people would tire of it very quickly, and I'd become a total pain constantly begging people to model for me!

Anyhow, as a matter of interest, I found this poll thingy this week, so you tell me what you think, would you be more interested in buying earrings that you'd seen someone wearing, or would you prefer plain photo's? Nip over to the left, and you'll find a quick vote!

So after the office I headed back off into town - to do a bit of grocery shopping, and catch the bus home - and I wasn't half way to Tesco's before the sky opened and we had an absolute downpour. We'd had a shower half an hour earlier or so, but this was incredible - no preliminary drops, or any kind of warning, just literally dry one second, downpour the next. The roads were awash, like rivers torrentially pouring - just outside of House of Fraser, were the pavement slopes downward to the road, was a - well a river is about the best word I can think of. Extraordinary - I'd've taken photo's except my camera was in my backpack, and I had to manage the umbrella which I found at the bottom of my bag! Which I might add was being blown inside out every few seconds or so! So I was very wet by the time I got home, shoes, jeans - just yuch! Don't you hate it when you get so wet that you start to steam???

Still it's late, and I'm for bed. Night night all...