Tuesday, February 27, 2007

26th Feb 2007



Well, here we are folks, another Monday!


It's been cool with the new shop, I can't believe how many people have been in to view it. I reckon I've even sold a bit more!


I've got a nice lot of new bookmarks in there right now, here's a photo or two!







Gosh I hope these two line up a bit better than the last photo's I put on here did!
So what's new with me... I've been reading. Ha, when don't I.. I've just finished Sara Paretsky's latest Warshawski novel in paperback - the one that made it to Sainsburys that is. It's a good story, engrossing as always, and you kind of get the feel that it tells you more about real life in America than any amount of documentaries or Hollywood films.
I've moved on from this to The Interpretations of Murder, which is frankly, described in one review of it that I read as "this year's Historian" or some such, which I believe is a reference to the popularity of last year's eponymous tale. I bought that, read about the first 15 pages, and couldn't get much further - it was incredibly dull.
The Interpretations of Murder (or Interpretation, the book's in the bedroom and I can't check) is a different kettle of fish - I can feel it itching away in the back of my mind that I want to go to bed and get on with the next couple of chapters. I've only just read the first two or so, and essentially it's about a trip to America made by Freud and Jung (yep the Freud and Jung) in 1909, which Freud returned from leaving a small autobiographical note to the effect that he hadn't cared for it very much. On such small leavings as this, the writer has invented a really unpleasant murder to get our two psychoanalysts involved with. I can't really tell you much more, because as I said, I've only just read the first few chapters. But it stinks with atmosphere, and I love the relationship he's created between the members of Freud's group - the two eager sons who hang on Freud's every word, the disdainfulness of Jung who is (from my extremely limited knowledge) clearly moving towards his 'split' away from being a disciple, to being an innovator in his own right. God, innovator. What an awful term to use about Jung. But it's late at night, and I can't get my brain in gear.
So.. I'm still working on my bit about Capote and In Cold Blood. It'll make it to the blog eventually. I don't want to let this regime of mine, of writing about the books I read, to prevent me from being able to blog regularly, because I feel guilty at not doing what I said I was going to. So if you're interested, it will come, just taking a bit more time than I reckoned on.
Anyhow, that's it for now. More anon!